Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Journey

"Faith, without knowledge, is superstition and knowledge, without faith, is empty philosophy." That is quite a statement. This statement is at the core of my spiritual journey. After a nasty divorce and having the foundations of my faith shaken, I needed a deeper look at what the roots of my faith are. I am searching for the deepest expression of Christ that exists. Some may say this is a fruitless journey because everyone has a different interpretation of what that may be. However, I believe that Christ will not (and has not) let the gates of hell prevail against His Church and I intend to find a rooted Faith that is not only historical, but alive and filled with wonder, awe and above all, Christ Himself.

Presently, I attend a non-denominational charismatic church that is full of very loving people and has a good sense of community. However, over the last 4-5 years, I have been becoming more acquainted with the Orthodox Church. I am drawn to its reverence, holiness, tradition, historicity and rhythm. I have attended many Vespers services and one Pascha service. I have lots of questions, and lots of people on both sides (protestant and orthodox) that are willing to give me their answers. I believe that the Holy Spirit will lead me into all truth and am excited about the journey and the destination. I am trying to be full of expectancy and not expectations as I travel this road as a man full of sin and needing mercy.

I am about to begin going to inquirer classes at St. John's Orthodox Church in Memphis and will be sharing questions and answers and welcome input!

My first general observation will be this:
So many Protestant Christians will openly admit that they have brothers and sisters in the Roman Catholic Church, as well as the Orthodox Church. Why is it then that if someone investigates these other traditions, they are almost always seen as falling away from the faith? This doesn't make sense.

Question: What is the essence and nature of worship as a Christian? What should it include? What should our musical worship be like?

That's all for now.

Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. Both now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Lord have mercy

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nate, I once heard a "sermon" (teaching?) on what worship was. Apparently, the first time worship is mentioned in the Bible (in the English version at least), is in Genesis 22. When Abraham went on top of that mountain to sacrifice what was the most precious thing to him, he did not sing a song, but worshiped!

    ReplyDelete